Header Ads Widget

Ticker

6/recent/ticker-posts

My first Blowout bar salon experience

The Blowout Elk Grove

You may have heard of the "blowout hair salons" popping up recently in the beauty world—a salon specifically for washing, drying, and styling your hair. That's right—no hair cuts or colors. The most popular salon, Drybar, comes to mind. They have locations all over the U.S. and one in Vancouver. While there are no specific Drybar salons in the Sacramento area, we have our own local versions. Luckily, in my hometown, I was able to find a salon; specifically, The Blowout.

I wanted to get my hair styled for my engagement photos on Friday, since it's been a frizzy mess and my hair has not gotten back to normal since my lupus flareups in 2011. I was at that period where I was losing a lot of hair, and it was thinning and very oily. Thankfully, I am in remission, and I recently got my labs, and everything has been negative, again! My rheumatologist has told me that the deformed nails and scraggly hair I've had were a reflection of my health: my nails are practically back to normal, and my hair is thickening, though I still lose a lot more than the average person after brushing.

The Blowout has a menu of different hairstyles you can try, such as Girl-Next-Door (smooth loose waves), Straight from Town (the name says it all: pin-straight), Diva Style (lots of body and curls), Easy Girl (messy beach waves) or a custom hairstyle. You can even opt for a braid. They also offer to do bridal hair and makeup. And don't worry about leaving your man out; they can offer services for them for half the price.

I decided to go with the Girl-Next-Door style.

On the outside, the salon looked like a hole in the wall. But as I walked in, I was very impressed with their shabby-chic interior.

The Blowout Elk Grove

The Blowout Elk Grove
Yes, they offer makeup services too.

The Blowout Elk Grove

The Blowout Elk Grove
They only use and sell Bumble & Bumble products.

Upon waiting, I was taken in a room where I was to sit on the recliner chair to get my hair washed by my stylist (crap, I never got her name...) She asked me questions about my wedding and got to know me when I told her I was here before my engagement photos. I love recliner chairs because it gives me a chance to relax and lay down.

The Blowout Elk Grove

I was then taking to a chair where I would get my hair dried (the hair dryers are hanging from the ceiling) and styled. The setup is that akin to a bar–the chairs are lined up with a bar-style table in front of you, and hair products on the shelves, oh and there's TV too!

The Blowout Elk Grove

I expressed my concerns to my stylist about my hair thinning and loss because of my lupus, and she told me that she had hair similar to mine, but started using the Bumble & Bumble Thickening Shampoo and Conditioner and the more she has used it, the thicker her hair has gotten. I researched (they sell Bumble & Bumble at Sephora as well), and they range from $10–$57. I will hold off on it until I finish my OGX Volumizing Shampoo and Conditioner. As she was curling and styling my hair, I was worried that she was going to keep it really big and voluminous, and I was no longer used to that anymore. She explained that after a while, it will calm down, and she did not want to keep it flat, which is what the heat was going to do. Thankfully, our engagement photo session was in a small town in the Bay Area, which ranged between 68–75°F, escaping the 100+°F Sacramento heat. In fact, it was so windy that I was worried that a strand or 2 were over my face for a lot of the photos, or that the wind made me look like a maniac rather than a sultry bride to be. I will only find out when we get our photos in 2 weeks.

My stylist also sprayed some brown powder on top of my hair because she saw that I had a bald spot (from the hair loss), and in case the photographer took a photo of us from above, she did not want that to be seen and wanted to give the illusion that I had extra volume. Needless to say, our photographer didn't take photos from that angle.

And alas, here are the hair results:

The Blowout Elk Grove

It took me a few hours to get used to them, but I really loved it. If you have a special occasion coming up and want to pamper yourself, I recommend dropping by your closest blowout salon to feel dolled up. 

If you live in Northern California (particularly the Sacramento area), stop by The Blowout! The address is:

9165 Elk Grove-Florin Road, Suite #130
Elk Grove, CA 95624

Next time, I will write up about how I did my makeup for the photo session with a step-by-step demo.

Have you tried a blowout salon before?

Yorum Gönder

0 Yorumlar